Melissa Tucker, a training coach and one of Canada’s foremost global fitness competitors, is a member of our team of PURICA Ambassadors committed to providing you with healthy eating and training tips. With our focus on heart health during Heart Month, here’s Melissa’s blog on some basic guidelines to keep your heart happy.
If you have high cholesterol, high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease…if you have had a heart attack or stroke…or if you have family history of cardiovascular disease, you may want to follow these guidelines to help protect yourself and prevent future problems.
The first five things you must do are:
- If it has been more than a year since your last doctor visit, book your annual check up now.
- If you smoke, quit.
- If you are overweight, lose weight (make small changes in your lifestyle; they’ll make a big difference with respect to your weight).
- Begin a program of regular exercise (taking one step at a time, but getting out there).
- Eat heart healthy foods daily.
- The foods you choose are critical for good cardiovascular health. Having high-nutrient dense foods will help keep your heart healthy and disease risks lower.
- Be sure to include magnesium, calcium, vitamin D, potassium, B vitamins, soluble fiber, and omega-3 fatty acids.
- Get enough sleep.
- Consider taking a high quality multivitamin or cardiovascular supplement such as Provascin.
- Skip dried fruit, fruit juice, and alcohol if you have high triglycerides.
- Skip grapefruit and grapefruit juice if you are on cardiac medication.
- Avoid eating foods high in saturated fats, trans fats, salt, cholesterol, and refined carbohydrates.
Life’s a journey. Make it a heart-healthy journey by taking some of these suggestions to heart!
For more information, check out www.melissatucker.com or email PURICA Ambassador Melissa Tucker at email@example.com. And for regular healthy eating and training tips, follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/puricawellness and like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/puricawellness