Melissa Tucker is one of Canada’s foremost global fitness competitors and training coach. She’s also a member of our team of PURICA Ambassadors, committed to providing you with healthy eating and training tips. Here’ are Melissa’s thoughts on how to eat healthier while on the road, especially with the Labour Day Weekend coming up:
The Labour Day long weekend will have lots of you packing the car for a summer’s end road trip. Chances are your route is set or you will punch your destination into your GPS to get you where you want to go, driving the most time efficient route. But have you pre-planned your dashboard dining food options?
A little pre-planning with these healthy travel tips will ensure that you will feel great and have the energy to enjoy your trip.
- Pack a cooler with easy to eat fresh items like baby carrots, celery, apples, cherries or grapes.
- Non- fat Greek yogurt or cottage cheese cups come pre-portioned as great protein options. I love adding a scoop of Whey Protein Isolate and a portion of raw almonds or cashews to make a complete on the go deliciously fit meal.
- Be sure to have a travel plug in cooler or plenty of ice for the food to stay safe.
- Non-perishable snacks like single serving applesauce cups, protein bars, low fat granola bars, mini rice cakes or natural trail mix are great options to have on hand rather than chips, chocolate bars or sugared candy.
- If you opt to cruise the drive –thru window some figure friendly options are lean wraps, salads or sandwiches topped with grilled chicken, turkey, or tuna (or just plain veggie, of course). Opt for mustard not mayo or other hi fat sauces. Even better have a fully balanced meal in the form of a fresh whole food smoothie or protein shake!
Lastly, bring plenty of water and enjoy a good leg stretch during your potty pit stops.
For more information, check out www.melissatucker.com. And for regular healthy eating and training tips, follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/puricawellness and like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/puricawellness.