Melissa Tucker, a training coach and one of Canada’s foremost global fitness competitors, is a member of our team of PURICA Ambassadors committed to providing you with healthy eating and training tips. Here’s Melissa’s suggestion on how to enjoy Valentine’s Day, but not go off the rails.
Are you craving a hunk of chocolate for Valentine’s Day? You can avoid a diet disaster, satisfy your hearts desire and improve your heart health with a one-ounce piece of dark chocolate filled with heart healthy flavonoids. The Antioxidant effects of the flavonoids can lower cholesterol and help prevent certain cancers, such as skin cancer. Dark chocolate with at least 80% cocoa has less sugar and more antioxidants than milk chocolate or white chocolate making it by far the healthiest option.
Chocolate ranks among the most heavily sprayed crops, so be sure to choose organic. For the greatest health benefit, buy traditionally prepared or “artisan” chocolate, it’s most likely to contain more flavonoids because it’s gently made with reduced heat.
Skip those heart-shaped boxes of milky, cream-filled sugar bonbons this Valentine’s Day and try this heart healthy, antioxidant rich; Chocolate – Pomegranate – Ginger Bark recipe!
Chocolate – Pomegranate – Ginger Bark
This simple recipe is amazingly delicious with heart healthy nutrients and a flavor explosion to satisfy your sweet tooth!
- 10 oz bittersweet chocolate
- 1-cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 ½ Tsp. dried ginger
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- Line a baking sheet with a silicone-baking mat or parchment paper.
- Melt the chocolate. If using a microwave, be sure to use a microwave-safe bowl for 1 minute. Stir with a spatula until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth, heat in additional 10-second increments if necessary.
- Gently stir half of the pomegranate seeds, ginger and the salt into the chocolate.
- Scrape the chocolate mixture onto the baking sheet and spread it into a rectangle. (Approx. 8×10)
- Sprinkle the remaining pomegranate seeds evenly over the top, pressing them into the chocolate.
- Refrigerate until fully set, about 30 minutes.
- Break the bark into chunks and enjoy.
* The bark will keep, if refrigerated, for 4-5 days if you don’t eat it all in one sitting.
For more information, check out www.melissatucker.com or email PURICA Ambassador Melissa Tucker at email@example.com.. And for regular healthy eating and training tips, follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/puricawellness and like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/puricawellness.