Melissa Tucker, a training coach and one of Canada’s foremost global fitness competitors, is a member of our team of PURICA Ambassadors committed to providing you with healthy eating and training tips, including how to get your heart pumping!
To strengthen a muscle you have to challenge it. That’s as true of the heart muscle as it is any muscle in the body.
One of my favourite ways to challenge the heart is a circuit of quick cardio bursts of strength and power moves. You can intensify the bursts as your conditioning improves. You will burn fat, tone your muscles and condition your cardiovascular system!
Begin by performing each exercise in a circuit for one minute each. One full circuit is 5 minutes.
- Mix up your footwork as your skill level increases.
Side to Side Step Overs:
- Stand upright with one foot on a bench to one side and your arms by your sides.
- Step both feet up onto the bench then one down the other side to the floor.
- Repeat back and forth up and over the bench, alternating with one foot on the bench and one on the floor.
Lateral Mountain Climbers:
- Support your body on your toes and hands with your knees bent and drawn up into your chest.
- Step one foot out to the side with your leg straight, keeping your hands on the floor.
- Step back to the centre and switch sides.
Knee In Side Bridge
- Lie on one side propped up on one elbow with your legs straight out on top of one another.
- Raise your body off the floor, resting on your forearm and foot.
- Bend your top knee, bringing it toward your chest, keeping your body in a straight line and your elbow directly under your shoulder.
- Complete all reps on one side before switching to the other side.
- Stand upright with your feet together and your arms by your sides.
- Run on the spot raising your knees as high as possible each step.
- Rapidly switch feet and use your arms as if running.
Make the most of Heart Month. Challenge your heart and make it one of your strongest assets!
For more information, check out www.melissatucker.com or email PURICA Ambassador Melissa Tucker at email@example.com.. And for regular healthy eating and training tips, follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/puricawellness and like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/puricawellness.